Monday, April 11, 2011

Pinch me

I just got back from the Romantic Times Convention and I must say, I had a fabulous time. I’ve been to a lot of conferences over the years, but I’ve never attended one quite like this. Attendees were divided into four different groups: readers, aspiring authors, booksellers and published authors. And everyone wore a nametag so you knew right away what category she fell into.

I loved that. Probably because I really enjoy talking to writers who hope to get published. I fell into that category for such a long time and I’ll never forget those established writers who took the time to encourage and mentor me. So, whenever possible, I enjoy chatting with other writers who are still seeking publication. I love hearing about their books and their characters, love to hear how much they have written and what their plans are.

I also had the opportunity to meet some of my favorite authors at the event, people like Dean Koontz, Holly Black, Melissa Marr, Carrie Ryan, Kimberly Derting, Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Rachel Vincent, Nicole Murphy, Pamela Palmer, Tera Lynn Childs, Sophie Jordan, Kerrlyn Sparks and Joss Ware.

Authors are like movie stars to me. I’m in awe of the work they do. So this event was wonderful because I got to meet so many writers that I’ve admired for years.

But it was also an opportunity for me to meet people who enjoy my work. That’s something that I haven’t gotten used to yet. It’s strange to think that there are people out there reading my work now.

Somehow I snuck into that category of published authors. I keep waiting for the Publishing Police to come along and revoke my license.

Pinch me, I think I’m dreaming.

Wait. Don’t pinch me. If this isn’t real, then I don’t want to wake up.

P.S. I will post RT photos tomorrow!

9 comments:

  1. I would never have thought that Dean Koontz would go to the "Romantic Times Convention!" I'm so glad you got to meet so many of your idols.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point! Now that I think about, it was a different sort of place to see Dean Koontz. I wouldn't consider his work romance. Hmmmm. I think we were all just so glad he was there that we didn't even think about that. LOL. By the way, his class on the Craft of Writing was incredible. I ordered the MP3 so I can hear it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Sounds like you really had a great time Merrie. :) So happy you got to mix and mingle with authors and fans.

    You rock lady! Can't wait to see the photos.

    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, No YOU rock! LOL. Wish you could have been there. World Fantasy Con! (or whatever it's called. I keep calling it by the wrong name. Argh.)
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah um bad news I found out while you were away.....they got filled up BEFORE I could get us tickets. So we are on the waiting list but they can't confirm if we will get tickets....

    I had no idea it would sell out like that :(

    Bummer.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, Oh, noes! I really hate it when that happens. The other side of the coin, almost as bad, is when you can get the ticket but your friend can't OR when you can get the ticket but can't find a hotel. I've had both of those happen to me. I'm currently trying to run down a hotel for Comic Con.

    I'm sad you won't make it to WFC. *crying softly*

    What about RWA in Anaheim in 2012?

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blah let's hope we make it on the list and everything works out.

    I have no idea yet about 2012 but I will talk it over with the Sheep crew and see what we all think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Merrie! Can't wait to see your pics. And you belong there :)

    ReplyDelete